Become an ISTA Certified Therapeutic Sound Practitioner!
THE RE-EMERGENCE OF SOUND HEALING
Since ancient times, indigenous cultures the world over have utilized the power of sound in their healing practices. Now, the Western scientific community is beginning to appreciate the value of the effects of sound on the human organism and the application of sound is becoming increasingly popular as a therapeutic tool.
As with the rise of meditation and yoga practices in the West, the use of sound for increasing awareness has been spreading rapidly. There is a growing demand for therapeutic sound work in venues such as medical facility programs, corporate wellness initiatives, elder care organizations, holistic health centers, integrative counseling and coaching, among others.
We all understand, on some level, that sound has an impact on our mood, mental focus, and physiological state. Scientific studies have now shown that calculated and controlled application of certain sounds results in reduction of stress and pain perception. But how? Why? And how can we utilize sound in a systematic way to improve health and overall well-being? Furthermore, if sound can have such a powerful impact on our mental, emotional, and physical states, is it possible that sound implemented in “the wrong way” can cause harm? Anyone can strike a singing bowl or tap some tuning forks. But what makes someone qualified to administer sound as a therapeutic tool as well as be effective in doing so?
The burgeoning field of therapeutic sound lacks a governing institution to uphold standards. By offering this certification program, ISTA has set the “gold standard” for therapeutic sound practitioner proficiency and established the ethical criteria for professionals in the field.
SETTING THE SOUND STANDARD
Of the many sound practitioner trainings available, very few offer participants a fully supervised, immersive, intensive, and integrated process that equips them with the tools, guidance, and experience to ethically practice therapeutic sound modalities with individuals and groups, directly upon completion.
WHAT WE OFFER
At the onset of the program, participants will begin applying information and new skills, and implementing therapeutic sound tools in their personal journey, and shortly thereafter, with real clients. Program facilitators will supervise this process throughout the 7-month program, fostering a personal practice for each participant to increase depth of understanding of the work, as well as confidence and expertise to work with clients. This unique mentorship and supervision format provides ethical preparation for participants to become effective practitioners. Facilitators will also address business strategies, ethical and legal implications, as well as potential social impacts of offering this work in community.
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN
- The ability to facilitate therapeutic sound sessions, skillfully utilizing various modalities and techniques, in both one-to-one and group settings
- A strong fundamental understanding of musical terms and sound concepts upon which all sound healing modalities are based
- Expanded awareness and perception through a deep study of listening
- Discernment and appreciation of the experience of silence
- A grounded understanding of how sound can induce meditative and trance states
- A firm grasp of scientific principles that explain the nature of sound and its effects on the human organism
MODALITIES / INSTRUMENTS
As the most important and effective instrument of sound healing, the voice vibrates the entire body from the inside out. Whether you are developing a personal practice for yourself or working in therapeutic settings with others, the voice can be your most powerful tool or your most challenging limitation. Stephanie Rooker’s Voice Journey approach is based on a delicate balance of cultivating awareness of the instrument of the voice and surrendering to the flow of creativity that runs powerfully through us when we can truly “get out of the way.” Applying this approach, we will integrate healthy vocal technique with somatic awareness, active and deep listening, and fundamental principles of sound healing. Break free from constraining thoughts and allow your voice to reinvent itself, as we draw from ancient traditions and contemporary forms of experimental vocal sound. Learn to access the source of healing and empowerment that every voice has the capacity to be.
- Transcend limitations of inhibition and fear to experience the stress- and pain-relieving benefits of vocal sound
- Learn the fundamentals of healthy vocal technique (i.e., diaphragmatic breath support, easeful tone production, and embodied resonance)
- Develop a repertoire of multi-cultural techniques to employ your voice as a healing tool
- Exercise musical intelligence and expand creative freedom through improvisation
- Facilitate individual empowerment and community cohesion through vocal sound sessions
Meditation has been proven to calm and center the mind, slow down and increase the depth of our breathing, and reduce stress. Developed over decades of experience and teaching by Wendy Young, Soundfulness Meditation combines a variety of breathing and sound practices. It focuses on mindful awareness of and deep listening to the sounds within and around us. We will explore the world of Naada Yoga (union through sound) with a variety of sound-based meditations that use the voice to send vibrations inside and outside the body, and shift one’s brainwave states. Expand your knowledge and experience through your own personal practice. You will learn beginning and advanced toning techniques, breath practices, as well as a variety of sacred and secular mantra-based practices. You will learn why the transformational tool of Soundfulness Meditation works, how to teach meditation one-to-one and with a group, and how to assess progress and growth through a meditation practice.
- Develop a personal Soundfulness Meditation practice
- Heal yourself so you can be a clear channel to work with others
- Teach Soundfulness Meditation one to one or with a group
- Understand the benefits of an advanced toning practice: what works, what doesn’t
Singing bowls are perhaps the most commonly used sound healing modality, yet are often the most misunderstood. By learning the rich history of metal singing bowls, and the newer crystal singing bowls, you will gain an understanding of exactly how these powerful healing instruments affect the body, mind, and spirit. Learn to differentiate between the many different types of singing bowls, how to take advantage of their unique harmonic patterns. You will see how these different patterns can dramatically and quickly shift our brainwave states, bringing about deep physical and emotional healing.
- Study the rich history of metal singing bowls
- Discover the scientific and therapeutic differences between crystal and metal bowls
- Master specific tapping techniques, bowl placement, and bowl choices
- Learn how to optimize your results when working with an individual or a group
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the architecture of a group sound session
Tuning forks are some of the most accessible, reliable, and efficient instruments used in therapeutic sound work. We will utilize tuning fork protocols to study the physiological and neurological effects of sound, explore the significance of tuning and harmonics, and incorporate a 5 element paradigm. Through research review and direct experience of the forks, we will examine the relaxation response in body tissue, the important role of bone conduction, and entrainment of the nervous system.
- Understand the underlying scientific principles of tuning the physical body
- Learn tapping techniques and protocols for personal and group sessions
- Integrate sound work with the 5 element archetypal paradigm
- Be knowledgeable about, and proficient in, the use of tuning forks
- Private session protocols
- Group sound session structures
- Understanding the stress response
- Bringing sound work into your communities
- Introduction to business planning
- How to conduct a case study
- Keeping a mandala journal
REQUIREMENTS for Certification:
This training is a 7-month, 200-hour program. Each level of the training augments the framework for your understanding and implementation of therapeutic sound, employing the aforementioned modalities with increasingly complex applications.
- Attendance required at all weekend sessions
- Five 1½ hour conference calls
- Five 1-hour personal mentoring calls
- Monthly study group meetings
- Reflection papers (2-3 pages) following each weekend
- Sustained, daily personal sound practice (15-20 mins)
- 35 documented client/group sessions
- Conduct and present a 10-session case study
No previous musical knowledge or experience is required to apply.
Weds 7-9pm; Thurs & Fri 9am-5pm & 7-9:30pm; Sat 9am-5pm; Sun 9am-4pm
April 4-8, 2018
May 9-13, 2018
June 20-24, 2018
August 1-5, 2018
Fri 7-10pm; Sat 9am-5pm & 7-9pm; Sun 9am-4pm
September 28-30, 2018
November 16-18, 2018
Stony Point Center
17 Cricketown Rd
Stony Point, NY 10980
Conveniently located and easily accessible from major NY & NJ airports, buses, and trains.
(includes tuition, room and board)
$4,500 – double occupancy room
$5,800 – single occupancy room
PAYMENT IN FULL
*Early Bird* $500 DISCOUNT ends 1/31/18 !
$4,000 – double occupancy room
$5,300 – single occupancy room
$100 deposit due with registration
Double room – 2 payments of $1,500 and 1 payment of $1,400
Single room – 3 payments of $1,900
Payments due 3/26, 6/11, and 9/17
To pay with check or money order, please email Wendy
The $100 registration deposit is non-refundable.
Once the program has started, if you decide not to continue, a non-negotiable, pro-rated refund will be determined at that time. If you begin a payment plan and choose not to complete the program, you will be held responsible for a portion of your financial obligations.
We reserve the right to cancel the program due to insufficient enrollment. Registrants will be notified by phone at least 3 weeks prior to the event. A full refund will be issued via the credit card originally charged, or by check in the case of a money order or check payment.
This is an ISTA APPROVED Advanced Certification Course. According to ISTA~International Sound Therapy Association criterion, this course offered by Wendy Young and Stephanie Rooker meets internationally recognized standards for education, knowledge, experience and skills to provide high quality care in therapeutic sound. Under no circumstances shall ISTA be liable for losses of any kind incurred by Wendy Young, Stephanie Rooker or registered students in the TSC program
Enhance your current career as a counselor, coach, nurse, yoga teacher, body and/or energy worker with the powerfully healing tool of sound or embark upon an exciting new path in the field of therapeutic sound!
While many licensed professions (e.g. yoga, massage, nursing, counseling) are receptive to the incorporation of therapeutic sound in their offerings, the sound work integrated into these contexts must reflect the high level of proficiency and integrity of those professional licenses. This necessitates a sophisticated and practiced understanding of the powerful forces at work in sound, as well as the myriad potential responses of the varied constitutions of prospective clients.
Completion of ISTA’s TSP training will enable you to enter into the field with the essential knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to offer therapeutic sound work at your highest capacity. The program will facilitate progressive clarification and evolution of the vision of your work that serves the highest purpose. Graduates of the program earn the title of Certified Therapeutic Sound Practitioner (CTSP) and are eligible for listing on ISTA’s website.
Career opportunities for ISTA Certified Therapeutic Sound Practitioners (CTSP) include:
- Medical facility programs
- Corporate wellness initiatives
- Elder care organizations
- Holistic health centers
- Integrative counseling
- Coaching, and more!
No previous musical knowledge or experience is required to apply.